This super soft and moist air fryer vanilla cake is naturally sweetened with honey and packed with confetti rainbow sprinkles. It’s so easy to make from scratch. Seriously, the best birthday cake I’ve ever eaten!
Super moist air fryer vanilla cake
This air fryer cake is about to blow your mind: it’s super moist, has the softest crumb, and is filled with rainbow sprinkles. Plus, this cake has no refined sugars since it is naturally sweetened with honey. This recipe is the perfect easy small-batch birthday cake recipe and a fun dessert to make with your kids.
I love this healthy vanilla cupcake recipe and this almond flour chocolate cake too, but those both require an oven to bake. If you don’t have an oven or don’t want to wait for it to preheat, this air fry cake is perfect!
Air fryer vanilla confetti cake calls for straightforward ingredients like flour, coconut oil, yogurt, honey, and vanilla extract. Plus, it’s very customizable since you can use oat milk, almond milk, skim milk, or 2% milk.
This simple and easy vanilla cake recipe is a family’s favorite, so I cannot wait to hear what you think!
Why you’ll love this air fryer recipe:
- Air fryer cake is super moist and fluffy.
- It’s homemade; you don’t need a boxed cake mix!
- Option to add sprinkles to make it a confetti cake.
- You only need one mixing bowl.
- The cake is air fried and ready in 30 minutes.
- Made with healthier ingredients like yogurt and oat milk.
- Sweetened naturally with honey.
- This cake tastes like a classic Magnolia Bakery vanilla cake.
- Try these healthy vanilla cupcakes for another great dessert!
Ingredients & substitutions
Air fryer confetti cake call for very simple ingredients like flour, coconut oil, honey, vanilla, eggs, and yogurt. This recipe is healthier, refined-sugar-free, and can be made dairy-free. Here is a list of everything you need so you are prepared:
- Flour: First, you’ll need flour for the base of this vanilla cake. I used all-purpose flour.
- Baking Soda & Baking Powder: You’ll need both to help the cake rise and achieve the perfect fluffy texture.
- Coconut Oil: To make this air fryer cake extra moist. You can also use melted unsalted butter.
- Vanilla Extract: For the best classic vanilla cake flavor.
- Honey: This cake recipe has no refined sugar; it’s naturally sweetened with honey. If needed, you can try to substitute the honey with maple syrup.
- Eggs: You need 1 egg and 1 egg yolk to help hold the cake’s crumb together and add some protein.
- Yogurt: I used vanilla 2% yogurt, but you can use Greek yogurt too. Fat-free, 0%, 2%, 5%, and whole milk yogurt will work. If you are dairy-free, substitute this with your favorite dairy-free yogurt like almond milk, oat milk, or coconut milk yogurt.
- Milk: Feel free to use oat milk, almond milk, cashew milk, 2% cow’s milk, or skim milk.
Kitchen tools required
Here is a list of kitchen utensils you will need to make this easy air fryer cake recipe.
- Air Fryer
- 6-inch Cake Pan
- Mixing Bowl
- Measuring Tools: 1/4 teaspoon, 1 teaspoon, 1/4 cup, 1/2 cup, and 1 cup.
How to make air fryer cake
This is the easiest air fryer cake recipe! It only takes 30 minutes to air fry, and it’s such a fun way to bake a cake. Here are super detailed step-by-step instructions with pictures for visual reference so any level cook can make them. The full recipe and ingredient measurements are at the bottom of this page in the recipe card.
First, prepare a 6-inch cake pan by wrapping the bottom and sides with aluminum foil like a cheesecake going into a water bath (reference picture below). Then, grease the pan well and lay a circular piece of parchment on the bottom.
Now, preheat your air fryer to 330°F.
After that, whisk the flour, baking soda, and baking powder together in a small mixing bowl.
Then, in a medium mixing bowl, whisk the melted coconut oil, honey, egg & egg yolk. When combined, add the vanilla and yogurt. Now, add half the dry ingredients and half the milk. Whisk, then repeat with the other halves.
Then, hand mix in sprinkles if you decide to make this a confetti cake.
Now, add batter to the cake pan. Then, wrap the top of the pan with another piece of aluminum foil and poke 5 – 10 small holes. Please look at the reference pictures below! This prevents the top of the cake from burning and ensures an even rise.
Finally, air fry at 330°F for 30 – 35 mins or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Expert tips for air fryer cake
Wrap and cover the cake pan with aluminum foil. This step is super important and is my #1 tip for making air fryer cake. You want to wrap the bottom and sides of your 6-inch cake pan with aluminum foil like a cheesecake getting ready for a water bath (reference picture above). Then once the cake batter is added, wrap the top of the pan with another piece of aluminum foil and poke 5 – 10 small holes. This prevents the top of the cake from burning and ensures an even rise.
Grease your cake pan. Don’t forget to do this, or the air fryer cake will get stuck inside the pan.
Preheat your air fryer. This ensures an even air fry. The cooking time may increase if you don’t preheat your air fryer.
Air fryer cake at 330°F. Most recipes will tell you to air fry cake at 350°F, but the best temperature is actually 330°F to ensure that the cake is extra moist and the top doesn’t burn.
Don’t overcook. If you leave your cake in the air fryer for too long, it will be dry. I always recommend checking your cake at the 30-minute mark to ensure it has risen and doing a toothpick test to check if it is done.
Air fryer cake flavor variations & mix-ins
I made this cake funfetti style by adding rainbow sprinkles to the batter, but there are a ton of other options too. Here is a list of my favorite flavor variations and mix-in ideas:
- Lemon Cake. Add the zest of a large lemon to your cake batter.
- Orange Cake. Add 1 – 2 tablespoons of fresh orange zest to your cake batter.
- Chocolate Funfetti. Instead of rainbow sprinkles, add chocolate sprinkles.
- Rainbow Cake. Add a drop or two of food coloring to the cake batter to color it.
- Coconut Cake. Add 2 – 4 tablespoons of shredded coconut to your cake batter.
- Cinnamon Cake. Add 1 – 1.5 teaspoons of ground cinnamon to the cake batter.
- Pumpkin Spice Cake. Add 1 – 1.5 teaspoons of pumpkin pie spice to the cake batter.
Frequently Asked Questions
What’s the best frosting for air fryer cake?
Can I make it gluten-free?
I have not tested this air fryer cake recipe with gluten-free flour; however, I reccomend using this brand of gluten-free 1:1 baking flour. It is the best substitute for all-purpose flour.
What pan do I need to make an air fryer cake?
You need a 6-inch cake pan for this air fryer cake recipe.
Can I make it dairy-free?
Yes! Make this air fryer cake dairy free by substituting the yogurt with a dairy-free alternative like coconut yogurt, almond milk yogurt, or oat milk yogurt.
Can I use chocolate sprinkles?
Yes, you can certainly use chocolate sprinkles instead of rainbow ones.
Can I leave the sprinkles off?
You can leave the sprinkles off completely and enjoy this vanilla cake. I also left a list of flavor variations above.
What’s the texture of air fryer vanilla cake?
Air fryer vanilla cake is super moist and fluffy. It has a soft crumb like a classic vanilla cake. It’s almost impossible to tell the cake was baked in an air fryer, not an oven.
What’s the best temperature to air fry cake?
For best results, air fry cake at 330°F, so they bake slowly and remain super moist and fluffy. If the temperature is too high, it can dry out, and the top can burn.
How long do I air fry cake at 330°F?
Cake will take about 30 to 35 minutes to air fry at 330°F.
How to store & make ahead of time:
Storing: For best results, store any leftover air fryer cake in an airtight container at room temperature or in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Make Ahead: You can make this air fryer cake up to 3 days in advance. Simply store it in the fridge and let it come to room temperature before serving.
If you love this recipe, try these next!
- Air Fryer Cinnamon Rolls
- Air Fryer Apples
- Air Fryer Baked Oats
- Mini Bundt Cakes
- Almond Flour Chocolate Cake
Did you make this recipe?
If you make this recipe, be sure to comment and rate it down below. Also, don’t forget to tag me @healthfulblondie on Instagram and use the hashtag #healthfulblondie so I can see your delicious creation and share it with my followers!
Air Fryer Cake
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, spooned & leveled
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- ¼ cup melted coconut oil, (or butter)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup honey, room temperature
- 1 large egg + 1 egg yolk, room temperature
- 3 tbsp yogurt, room temperature (I used vanilla 2%)
- ¼ cup milk, (oat, almond, 2%, or skim)
- Prepare your cake pan: wrap the bottom and sides of a 6-inch cake pan with aluminum foil like a cheesecake (reference picture above). Then, grease the pan well and lay a circular piece of parchment on the bottom.
- Preheat your air fryer to 330°F.
- Whisk the flour, baking soda, and baking powder together in a small mixing bowl.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk the melted coconut oil, honey, egg & egg yolk. When combined, add the vanilla and yogurt. Now, add half the dry ingredients and half the milk. Whisk, then repeat with the other halves.
- Hand mix in sprinkles if you decide to make this a confetti cake.
- Add batter to the cake pan. Then, wrap the top of the pan with another piece of aluminum foil and poke 5 – 10 small holes. This prevents the top of the cake from burning and ensures an even rise.
- Air fry at 330°F for 30 – 35 mins or until toothpick comes out clean.
I only recommend products I absolutely love and use myself. In full disclosure, by purchasing a product I recommend, I may receive a small compensation. Thank you for supporting Healthful Blondie!
Sharing is caring!