Quick and easy air fryer chicken burgers are super juicy, flavorful, and made without eggs or breadcrumbs. These healthy and keto chicken patties take 15 minutes to air fry. The perfect meal prep lunch and weeknight dinner!
The best juicy air fryer chicken patties
I love my air fryer – it’s simply the best kitchen tool! Air fryers can cook anything: from juicy turkey burgers to buttermilk biscuits to garlic bread to crispy fingerling potatoes. Air frying is the best way to cook without oil and make recipes healthier.
These air fryer chicken burgers are not only so easy to make in under 15 minutes, but the patties are packed with flavor, are super juicy, and don’t require eggs or breadcrumbs. That means this recipe is not only healthy but also gluten-free, keto, and dairy-free.
Air fryer chicken burgers make for the best weeknight dinner and meal prep lunch. You only need 6 ingredients and some seasonings. You can serve them with an air fry toasted brioche bun, on a salad, in a lettuce bun, or on their own. Air fryer chicken patties are so customizable!
I cannot wait to hear what you think about this recipe. It is one of my top 10 on my blog since it’s easy, flavorful, and healthy. Even picky eaters will love these air fryer chicken patties (trust me!).
Why you’ll love this air fryer chicken burger recipe:
- The juiciest chicken burgers.
- Cooked in an air fryer in under 15 minutes.
- You only need 6 ingredients are needed.
- Super flavorful.
- Healthy dinner and meal prep.
- Gluten-free and keto.
- No breadcrumbs and no eggs are needed.
- Over 22 grams of protein per air fryer chicken patty.
- Try these extra juicy air fryer turkey burgers or these cilantro lime chicken burgers next!
Ingredients needed & substitutions
This is seriously the best-ever air fryer chicken burger recipe! You only need six simple ingredients, plus some seasonings. Here is a list of everything you need so you are prepared:
- Ground Chicken: I like to use 93% lean ground chicken, so the burgers are still lean and juicy.
- Onion: Add shredded or minced yellow onion to the chicken patties for flavor and sharpness. You can substitute yellow onion with white or sweet onion.
- Baby Spinach: Adding spinach is optional, but I love adding it to my burger patties for extra Vitamin A and iron. You cannot taste it – I promise!
- Dijon Mustard: You cannot taste it (don’t worry). The Dijon mustard adds a tangy flavor.
- Garlic: Freshly minced garlic adds the best flavor to these air fryer chicken patties. If needed, you can substitute it with 1 teaspoon of garlic powder.
- Spices: We flavor these chicken burgers with dried parsley, paprika, salt, black pepper, and crushed red chili flakes (optional for spice).
- Buns: You can serve these chicken burgers on air-fried toasted brioche buns, classic potato or whole wheat hamburger buns, or a lettuce bun.
- Toppings: The options are endless, but feel free to add cheese, red onion, lettuce, tomato, bacon, turkey bacon, mustard, ketchup, relish, pickles, or mayo.
How to make air fryer chicken burgers
This air fryer chicken burger recipe takes under 15 minutes to make! The chicken patties are juicy, flavorful, and keto. Here are detailed step-by-step instructions with pictures for visual reference so anyone level cook can make them. The full recipe and ingredient measurements are at the bottom of this page in the recipe card.
First, preheat your air fryer to 360°F and lightly grease it with non-stick spray.
In a large mixing bowl, gently combine the ground chicken, onion, spinach, dijon mustard, minced garlic, parsley, paprika, salt, and pepper. You can add red chili flakes for spice if desired. Do not over-mix, or the chicken patties will be tough.
Divide the mixture and make four burger patties about 1/2 inch thick.
Gently place each burger into the preheated air fryer basket, ensuring they are evenly spaced. Do not let the burgers overlap. If your air fryer is small, do two batches.
Air fry for 10 – 13 minutes, flipping the burgers halfway through. The internal temperature of each burger should be 165°F. Over-cooked chicken burgers will be dry.
If you add cheese, place one slice of cheese on top of the chicken patty in the last 1 minute of air frying.
If serving with buns, you can toast them in the air fryer after the burgers are done, in a toaster oven, or on the stovetop. Lightly butter them and air fry at 300°F, cut side up for 3 – 4 minutes until golden. You can also serve these burgers in lettuce buns or on a salad if you want to make it low-carb.
I top mine with thinly sliced red onion, lettuce leaves, sliced tomato, and cheddar cheese. Enjoy!
Expert tips for juicy air fryer chicken burgers
- Don’t overwork the chicken patties. Mix the ground chicken until the other ingredients are loosely incorporated. The chicken burgers will be tough and dry if you overmix and work the patties.
- Preheat your air fryer. This ensures an even cook and correct cook time.
- Flip the chicken burgers halfway through. This ensures that the chicken patties are air fried evenly and remain extra juicy.
- Add cheese. I love adding a slice of sharp cheddar on top of these chicken patties during the last minute of air frying.
- Meal prep them. One of the best things about this recipe is that you can store extras in the fridge for up to 4 days. They made for a great meal prep lunch and dinner.
Customize these air fryer chicken patties:
One of the best things about making these air fryer chicken burgers is that you can easily modify them to your taste preferences. Here are some options:
- Cheese Burger: add a slice of your favorite cheese on top of these chicken patties during the last minute of air frying.
- Mozzarella Stuffed Chicken Burgers: Add a chunk of mozzarella inside the chicken burger patty before air frying. Make sure the ground chicken completely covers it.
- Toppings: Have fun with this! Add lettuce, tomato, onion, pickles, bacon, or anything else.
- Grill them: You can also grill these chicken burgers instead of air frying them. Clean the grill and heat to medium-high, between 375°F to 400°F. Make sure to grease your grill by using spray or dipping paper towels in oil and spreading across the grill. Place the chicken burgers on the heated grill, cover with the lid, and cook for 5 minutes until grill marks appear. Carefully flip the burgers on the grill for another 5 minutes until the internal temperature reaches 165°F.
- Use Ground Turkey: You can use ground turkey instead of ground chicken.
What to serve with air fryer chicken burgers:
Chicken burgers go well with so many dishes. Here are a few ideas for you:
- Salads: try this watermelon feta salad, this orzo pesto salad, this grilled peach summer salad, or this strawberry goat cheese salad!
- Potatoes: I love these air fryer sweet potato wedges, these smashed fingerling potatoes, and these crispy sweet potato cubes.
- Vegetables: Try these crispy maple Brussels, these blistered shishito peppers, or these air fryer baby carrots.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are they healthy?
Yes, these air fryer chicken burgers are healthy. First, they are high in protein, with 22 grams of protein. Second, they call for six simple ingredients. Third, they are gluten-free. Fourth, there is no oil, no eggs, and no breadcrumbs. These chicken patties are also keto and low-carb!
Are chicken burgers the same as chicken patties?
Yes, chicken burgers and chicken patties are the same. They are both made with ground chicken.
Are they gluten-free?
Yes, these chicken burgers are 100% gluten-free. There are NO breadcrumbs. Just make sure to use your favorite gluten-free bun or serve them in a lettuce wrap.
Are these chicken burgers keto?
Yes, these air fryer chicken burgers are keto and low-carb. They are made without breadcrumbs and have 2 grams of net carbs.
Can I use ground turkey?
You can certainly use ground turkey instead of ground chicken. I recommend using 94% lean ground turkey so the burgers are juicy.
Can I make them ahead of time?
These air fryer chicken patties are excellent for meal prep, lunch, and dinner. Let them cool to room temperature, then transfer them to an airtight container. Store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Reheat in the microwave or the air fryer at 250°F for 5 – 10 minutes.
What’s the best temperature to air fry chicken burgers?
For best results, air fry chicken burgers at 360°F. The chicken patties won’t cook through if the temperature is too low, and they will dry out if the temperature is too high.
How long do I air fry chicken burgers at 360°F?
Chicken burgers take about 12 to 13 minutes to air fry at 360°F. Make sure the inside of the chicken burger reaches 165°F.
Can you freeze cooked chicken burgers?
Yes, you can freeze cooked chicken burgers. Let the cook air-fried burgers come to room temperature, then place them in a freezer-safe bag. You can freeze them for up to 3 months. Just pop them back in the air fryer on defrost mode or in the microwave for 60 to 90 seconds (or until warm) to reheat.
How to store and reheat:
Storing: For best results, store leftover chicken burgers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 4 to 5 days.
Reheating: Reheat in the microwave for 30 – 60 seconds until warm or in the air fryer at 250°F for 5 – 7 minutes (or until warm).
If you love this burger recipe, try these next!
- Air Fryer Turkey Burgers
- Cilantro Lime Chicken Burgers
- Pineapple Teriyaki Turkey Burgers
- Healthy Stuffed Chicken Parmesan Burgers
- Grilled Turkey Burgers (keto)
Did you make this recipe?
If you make this recipe, be sure to comment and rate it down below. Also, don’t forget to tag me @healthfulblondie on Instagram and use the hashtag #healthfulblondie so I can see your delicious creation and share it with my followers!
Air Fryer Chicken Burgers
- 1 lb ground chicken, 93% lean
- ⅓ cup yellow onion, shredded or minced
- 1 ½ cups baby spinach, finely chopped (optional)
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ – 1 tsp red chili flakes, optional for spice
- 4 slices cheese, I love sharp cheddar
- 4 brioche or burger buns, (toasted read step #7)
- Red onion, thinly sliced
- Lettuce, I love bib or romaine
- Tomato slices
- Condiments: Ketchup, mayo, mustard, or relish
- Preheat your air fryer to 360°F and lightly grease it with non-stick spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, gently combine the ground chicken, onion, spinach, dijon mustard, minced garlic, parsley, paprika, salt, and pepper. You can add red chili flakes for spice if desired. Do not over-mix, or the burgers will be tough.
- Divide mixture and make 4 burger patties, about 1/2-inch thick.
- Gently place each burger into the preheated air fryer basket, making sure they are evenly spaced out. Do not let the burgers overlap. If your air fryer is small, do two batches.
- Air fry for a total of 10 – 13 minutes, flipping the burgers halfway through. The internal temperature of each burger should be 165°F. Over-cooked chicken burgers will be dry.
- If you are adding cheese, place one slice of cheese on top of the chicken patty in the last 1 minute of air frying.
- If serving with buns, you can toast them in the air fryer after the burgers are done, in a toaster oven, or on the stovetop. Lightly butter them and air fry at 300°F, cut side up for 3 – 4 minutes until golden. You can also serve these burgers in lettuce buns or on a salad if you want to make it low-carb.
- I top mine with thinly sliced red onion, lettuce leaves, sliced tomato, and cheddar cheese. Enjoy!
I only recommend products I absolutely love and use myself. In full disclosure, by purchasing a product I recommend, I may receive a small compensation. Thank you for supporting Healthful Blondie!
Sharing is caring!