The best dairy free banana bread that is super moist, fluffy, and soft. It tastes better than classic banana bread and makes for the perfect quick and healthy breakfast, snack, or dessert!
Why this is the best dairy free banana bread
This is the best dairy free banana bread recipe. I have found that many banana bread recipes can be dry, especially dairy free ones that don’t have butter or Greek yogurt. But don’t worry, this one is super moist, packed with banana flavor, and extra soft.
My friends told me that this was the softest and moistest banana bread they had ever eaten! I had to make a second batch because the first one was gone in under 30 minutes.
We use coconut oil, coconut sugar, extra bananas, and a mix of whole wheat and all-purpose flour to make this dairy-free banana bread recipe extra moist and fluffy. The coconut oil acts like a dairy-free butter, and the coconut sugar makes the bread rich and soft.
Plus, this recipe is healthy! There is no butter, no refined sugar, and we use both white whole wheat and all-purpose flours to lighten it up. This banana bread is sweetened with coconut sugar!
Why you’ll love this healthy banana bread
- The dairy free banana bread is healthy and made in one bowl.
- No fancy ingredients are needed.
- It is soft, fluffy, and moist.
- You can make it gluten-free.
- Refined sugar free.
- Each breakfast, snack, or dessert.
- No butter, yogurt, or sour cream is needed.
You only need a few ingredients to make this dairy-free banana bread recipe. It is so easy to make, and everyone will love it! Here is a list, so you have everything prepared, but scroll down to the recipe card for more details:
- Eggs: You need 2 large eggs to help this dairy free banana bread rise and hold its fluffy texture.
- Bananas: Grab 2 – 3 medium over-ripe, browned bananas. The browner the banana, the better the taste in banana bread!
- Coconut Oil: In place of butter, we use coconut oil for this banana bread to make it without dairy.
- Coconut Sugar: You need 1/3 cup of coconut sugar to sweeten this banana bread. It makes it healthy and refined sugar free!
- Vanilla Extract: Add some vanilla for the best flavor.
- Flour: We combine both white whole wheat and all-purpose flour for the softest banana bread!
- Cinnamon: Just a dash of cinnamon adds the best flavor to this banana bread.
- Baking Soda & Baking Powder: Both help the banana bread rise.
- Salt: You just need a little.
- Chocolate Chips: I love adding chocolate chips to my banana bread. This is optional, but I highly recommend it!
Kitchen tools needed
This banana bread is made in one bowl. You only need a few kitchen utensils, so clean-up will be easy! Here is a list:
- One Mixing Bowl
- Fork or Potato Masher
- Bread Loaf Tin
- Parchment Paper
- Measuring Tools: 1/2 teaspoon, 1 teaspoon, 1/3 cup, 1/2 cup, and 1 cup.
How to make dairy free banana bread
Dairy free banana bread is very easy to make. Any level baker can make it in five simple steps. First, we’ll prepare the batter, then add in chocolate chips or blueberries, and then bake. Here are step-by-step instructions:
First, preheat the oven to 325°F. Line and grease a bread tin with parchment paper.
Then, in a small mixing bowl, whisk together white whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Set it to the side.
Next, in a large mixing bowl, whisk eggs. Then add mashed bananas, melted coconut oil, coconut sugar, and vanilla extract.
After that, add in the dry ingredients and mix until completely combined. Fold in optional chocolate chips and pour batter into the greased bread tin. Feel free to sprinkle extra chocolate chips on top (if you are using them).
Finally, bake for 50 – 60 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let the bread completely cool before slicing and enjoying!
Here is a list of the best ingredient substitutions for this dairy free banana bread recipe. I only recommend swapping out 1 or 2 ingredients if necessary!
- Coconut Oil: You can use melted vegan butter. I like the brand Earth Balance.
- White Whole Wheat Flour: You can use whole wheat flour or more all-purpose flour.
- Coconut Sugar: You can use light brown sugar.
- Chocoalte Chips: You can use blueberries.
- Gluten-Free: To make this dairy-free banana bread gluten free, substitute the flours with 1:1 gluten-free baking all-purpose flour.
Flavor variations and add-ins
I love this recipe as is, but feel free to look at the list below for some ideas on how to customize this banana bread and make it your own!
- Blueberries in place of chocolate chips
- Add walnuts or pecans
- Sprinkle rolled oats on top
- Add coconut flakes
- Add banana slices on top of the banana bread before baking
- Add a dash of nutmeg (about 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon)
Banana bread baking tips
Use extra brown and over-ripe bananas. The browner and spottier the banana, the more flavor this bread will have.
Whisk your flours together before adding them to wet ingredients. I always whisk my flours together in a small bowl before adding them to the wet ingredients to make sure there are no flour clumps in the batter.
Set oven to 325°F, not 350°F. We bake this banana bread at a lower temperature than most recipes to ensure it is extra moist. Make sure you set the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
Do not substitute flours for almond flour, coconut flour, or buckwheat. This banana bread will not be the same if you do.
Do not overbake. Overbaked banana bread is dry! Make sure to take this loaf out when it’s golden, and a toothpick comes out clean. I baked mine for 52 minutes.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I make it gluten free?
Yes, you can make this banana bread gluten free by using 1 to 1 gluten-free baking all-purpose flour in place of both the all-purpose and white wheat flour.
Are eggs considered dairy?
No, eggs are not considered dairy. They are 100% dairy free.
Can you taste the coconut oil?
This dairy free banana bread tastes like classic banana bread, and you cannot taste the coconut oil.
Can I make them into muffins?
To make this recipe into muffins, line a cupcake tin and fill it with the banana bread batter. Top with extra chocolate chips and bake for 13 to 16 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Why is the oven temperature 325 degrees Fahrenheit and not 350?
Unlike many banana bread recipes, we bake this one at a lower heat of 325°F so that it stays extra moist and soft.
Can you freeze banana bread?
Yes, let the banana bread cool to room temperature, then add slices to freezer-safe bags. Freeze for up to 6 months. When you are ready to enjoy, heat the banana bread slice in the microwave for 30 – 60 seconds until warm.
How to store leftovers:
For best results, store leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 4 days or in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
If you loved this healthy banana bread recipe, try these next!
- Almond Flour Banana Muffins
- Healthy Carrot Orange Oat Muffins
- Lemon Blackberry Bread
- Peanut Butter & Jelly Banana Muffins
Did you make this recipe?
If you make this recipe, be sure to comment and rate it down below. Also, don’t forget to tag me @healthfulblondie on Instagram and use the hashtag #healthfulblondie so I can see your delicious creation and share it with my followers!
Dairy Free Banana Bread
- 2 large eggs
- 1 ½ cups mashed ripe bananas, (2 – 3 medium bananas)
- ½ cup melted coconut oil, (refined for no coconut taste)
- ⅓ cup coconut sugar
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ⅔ cup white whole wheat flour, spooned and leveled
- ⅔ cup all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ – ⅔ cup chocolate chips, optional
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Line and grease a bread tin with parchment paper.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together white whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Set it to the side.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk eggs. Then add mashed bananas, melted coconut oil, coconut sugar, and vanilla extract.
- Add in the dry ingredients and mix until completely combined. Fold in optional chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into the greased bread tin and sprinkle extra chocolate chips on top (if you are using them).
- Bake for 50 – 60 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let the bread completely cool before slicing and enjoying!
I only recommend products I absolutely love and use myself. In full disclosure, by purchasing a product I recommend, I may receive a small compensation. Thank you for supporting Healthful Blondie!
Sharing is caring!