This super moist blueberry banana bread recipe is healthy, oil free, and full of juicy blueberries. It’s made with almond flour, homemade oat four, and naturally sweetened with maple syrup. The perfect gluten free breakfast, snack, or dessert!
Super moist blueberry banana bread
Banana bread is one of those baked goods that never gets old. There are so many variations! From this classic dairy free banana bread to this chocolate banana bread, the options are endless.
This healthy blueberry banana bread is so moist and fluffy. It’s made with simple ingredients like eggs, almond flour, homemade oat flour, vanilla extract, and fresh blueberries.
One of the best things about this banana bread is that there is no oil, no butter, and it is only sweetened with maple syrup. Even though it is oil free, this bread is so so so moist.
Honestly, this is the perfect healthy breakfast, snack, or dessert. It’s packed with juicy blueberries that burst in your mouth with every bite.
Why you’ll love this healthy banana bread recipe
- Classic moist banana bread recipe with blueberries.
- There is no oil and no butter in this banana bread recipe.
- You can use frozen or fresh blueberries.
- Easy snack, breakfast, or dessert.
- A gluten-free and dairy-free banana bread recipe.
- The best healthy banana bread recipe.
You only need a handful of basic ingredients to make this deliciously moist healthy blueberry banana bread. It’s gluten free, oil free, and dairy free. Here is a list of ingredients so you are prepared:
- Eggs: You need 3 eggs to help hold this banana bread together and add some protein.
- Spotty Bananas: Use super ripe brown bananas for the best taste and natural sweetness. The spottier, the better, trust me!
- Maple Syrup: There is no refined sugar in this banana bread recipe. We sweeten it naturally with maple syrup and bananas.
- Vanilla Extract: Just a dash goes a long way flavor-wise.
- Almond Flour: We use half almond flour and have oat flour for this banana bread recipe. The almond flour makes it gluten-free and also helps keep the banana bread moist without needing oil or butter.
- Oat Flour: You need 1 cup of oat flour too. I used homemade oat flour because it makes baked goods fluffier and lighter. If you use store-bought oat flour, make sure to spoon and level your flour into the measuring cup or use a baking scale to measure out 1 cup. Too much oat flour will make the banana bread dry.
- Cinnamon: Just a dash for the best classic banana bread flavor.
- Baking Powder: To help this loaf rise.
- Baking Soda: Also to help this banana bread rise in the oven.
- Salt: Just a dash for a sweet and salty combo.
- Blueberries: I love blueberries! Once baked in with the banana bread, they are so juicy and burst in your mouth. I used fresh blueberries, but you can also use frozen ones.
Kitchen tools needed
You only need a few kitchen utensils to make this oil free banana bread. Here is a list:
- Two Mixing Bowls
- Bread Loaf Tin
- Parchment Paper
- Measuring Tools: 1/4 teaspoon, 1/2 teaspoon, 1/4 cup, and 1 cup.
How to make healthy blueberry banana bread
Any level baker can make this blueberry banana bread. It comes together in a few steps with simple ingredients. Here are step-by-step directions and pictures for visual reference:
First, preheat the oven to 350°F. Line and grease a bread tin with parchment paper.
Then, make your own homemade oat flour by adding about 1.5 cups of rolled oats to a high-speed blender. Blend until the oats turn into a fine flour, about 20 seconds to 1 minute, and then measure 1 cup of flour.
Next, in a small mixing bowl, whisk together almond flour, oat flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Then, set it to the side.
In a large mixing bowl, whisk eggs, mashed bananas, maple syrup, and vanilla extract.
After that, add in the dry ingredients and mix until completely combined. Fold in blueberries with a spatula and pour batter into the greased bread tin.
Bake for 50 – 60 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Let your healthy blueberry banana bread completely cool before slicing and enjoying!
Pro tips for moist banana bread
Measure your flour correctly. Make sure to spoon and level the flour, so you do not add too much. If you pack the flour into the measuring cups, your banana bread will be dry.
Avoid overmixing the batter. If you over-mix the banana bread batter, the loaf won’t rise as much and can be dense.
If using frozen blueberries, add them directly into the batter. Do not let them thaw to room temperature, or the banana bread will be soggy.
Don’t overbake the banana bread. Banana bread will be dry if they are overbaked. Take the loaf out of the oven once it has risen or passes the toothpick test. I baked mine for 54 minutes.
Why this oil free banana bread is NOT dry
Most oil-free and butter-free banana bread recipes are dry, but this one is not! In fact, this is one of the softest and most moist banana breads I have eaten. My trick to keeping it moist while omitting oil is using almond flour. Almond flour is naturally higher in fat and keeps the loaf moist.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is this banana bread gluten free?
Yes, almond flour and oat flour are both gluten-free flours. Make sure you use gluten-free certified oats or oat flour.
Why is my banana bread dry?
Banana bread can be dry for a few reasons. The main two are (1) you overbaked the banana bread, or (2) you added too much flour. Make sure to keep an eye on the clock and the banana bread in the oven; every oven is different. Likewise, spoon and level your flour into the measuring cups, and do not scoop from the bag. Also, don’t make any flour substitutions for the almond flour.
Can I use frozen blueberries?
You can use frozen blueberry or fresh blueberries in this banana bread recipe. If using frozen ones, do not let them thaw to room temperature. Just add them directly to the batter.
How is this banana bread moist without oil or butter?
Despite not having any oil or butter, this banana bread is super moist from the almond flour. Almond flour is higher in fat than all other flours, which keeps this loaf moist.
Can I make them into muffins?
To make this recipe into muffins, line a cupcake tin and fill it with the banana bread batter. Top with extra blueberries and bake for 16 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean
Can I freeze baked banana bread?
Freeze baked banana bread by allowing it to cool to room temperature, then place individual slices in freezer-safe bags and freeze them for up to 3 months. When ready to enjoy, let it thaw overnight in the fridge or microwave them for 30 – 60 seconds until warm.
How to store leftovers:
Store leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 4 – 5 days, or cover the original bread tin with aluminum foil. You can also store banana bread in the fridge.
Fun fact: banana bread is also taster and moister 1 day after you bake it!
If you loved this blueberry recipe, try these next!
Did you make this recipe?
If you make this recipe, be sure to comment and rate it down below. Also, don’t forget to tag me @healthfulblondie on Instagram and use the hashtag #healthfulblondie so I can see your delicious creation and share it with my followers!
Healthy Blueberry Banana Bread (No Oil)
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup mashed overripe bananas, about 2 large bananas
- ¼ cup real maple syrup
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup almond flour, spooned & leveled
- 1 cup homemade oat flour*, spooned & leveled
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line and grease a bread tin with parchment paper.
- * In a blender, add about 1.5 cups of rolled oats. Blend until the oats turn into a fine flour, about 20 seconds to 1 minute. Then measure 1 cup of flour.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together almond flour, oat flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set it to the side.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk eggs, mashed bananas, maple syrup, and vanilla extract.
- Add in the dry ingredients and mix until completely combined. Fold in blueberries with a spatula and pour batter into the greased bread tin.
- Bake for 50 – 60 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let the bread completely cool before slicing and enjoying!
I only recommend products I absolutely love and use myself. In full disclosure, by purchasing a product I recommend, I may receive a small compensation. Thank you for supporting Healthful Blondie!
Leave a Reply