Creamy Vegan Butternut Squash Pasta Sauce
Cozy up with a delicious bowl of this sweet creamy vegan butternut squash pasta sauce. This nutritious and flavorful sauce is healthy, dairy-free, gluten-free, and plant-based! Pair with your favorite pasta and top with crispy sage for a healthy, comforting dinner or lunch.
The best ever healthy creamy vegan butternut squash pasta sauce
I love a good pumpkin or squash ravioli. And, wow, add some crispy sage on top and I’m in heaven. If you are like me and love a hearty “sweet” pasta, this easy recipe is for you! This creamy butternut squash sauce is sweet and savory. Seriously, it truly delightful!
Nothing beats roasted butternut squash. I am serious, there is just something about the cold weather and squash that go together. Honestly, I just crave a warm, creamy bowl of pasta on chilly Fall and Winter days. It gives me the perfect excuse to curl up on the couch with a blanket, a book, and a bowl of this healthy plant-based butternut squash pasta.
I have to admit, and I might be biased here, but nothing beats a warm bowl of this vegan squash Fall pasta. It has the cheesy-ness of classic mac & cheese, but is somehow vegan? I know, sounds crazy! This healthy plant-based pasta sauce is not only super creamy, but it is made from hearty and super nutritious ingredients. Think garlic, shallots, almond milk, and fresh sage. You will never be able to tell its vegan! This is going to be your new favorite healthy dinner recipe.
On another note, I absolutely love making a big batch of this creamy butternut squash pasta on a Sunday and enjoying it throughout the week! It makes for the best meal prep. That is one of the best things about the healthy lunch and dinner recipe: it is perfect for busy people, families, college students, and athletes on the go! I love pairing mine with Banza chickpea pasta for that extra protein, which makes this creamy butternut squash sauce incredibly nutritious.
This simple Fall dish is just perfect for any occasion. Make it for a cozy dinner, enjoy with your friends, or impress your family! You seriously have to try this easy recipe for the best ever creamy vegan butternnut squash pasta sauce!
Ingredients in creamy vegan butternut squash pasta sauce
You’ll only need a few, simple ingredients to get this easy recipe going! I am all about simplicity and ease, so don’t worry, you won’t need to go to the supermarket and buy a lot of expensive ingredients and spices. You probably have most of these ingredients in your pantry already. For this easy dinner recipe, you’ll need a butternut squash, garlic, some seasoning, and of course, pasta!
Butternut squash: The shinning star in this recipe! Packed with nutrition and roasted to perfection, this ingredient is a must!
Olive or Avocado oil: We’ll use some avocado or olive oil to make the fresh sage crisp and to sauté the shallots and garlic.
Almond Milk: Necessary to make this healthy pasta dish creamy and smooth!
Shallots: The perfect addition to this healthy butternut squash pasta sauce.
Garlic: I mean garlic is a must! I love a little extra honestly… if you are using pre-minced garlic I recommend 2 Tablespoons, if not, 4 cloves.
Fresh Sage: Nothing is better than crispy fried sage and butternut squash!
Spices: We’ll be using red chili flakes, salt, and pepper.
Pasta: Use your favorite brand! I love Banza chickpea pasta. It is plant-based and packed with protein!
Easy ingredient substitutions for creamy vegan butternut squash pasta sauce
You guys probably know by now that I love simple and easy recipes! If you don’t love every ingredient in this one, I am here to help you out with a list of the very best substitutions!
Don’ have almond milk? Don’t worry! Simply use any type of plant mylk or milk!
Don’t have shallots? No worries! You can use a red onion! Just make sure the chop finely.
Don’t have garlic cloves? No worries! You can used pre-minced garlic. I love the one from Trader Joe’s!
Looking for other tasty lunch and dinner recipes? Check these out!
What you’ll need to make butternut squash sauce
For this easy recipe, you’ll only need a couple of kitchen tools making the clean up super easy! You’ll need a pot to cook the pasta and a food processor or blender to make the sauce.
- Cutting board
- Chopping knife
- Baking sheet
- Large pot
- Stirring utensil
- Food processor
- Measuring cups: 1 tsp, 1 tbsp, 1/4 cup, 1/3 cup, and 1 cup.
How to make the best ever creamy butternut squash pasta
My favorite thing about this simple and easy healthy butternut squash pasta sauce recipe (besides the taste of course) is how easy it is to make! This recipe takes less than 60 minutes from start to finish and is absolutely perfect for healthy family dinners!
First, preheat the oven to 400°F and line and grease a baking sheet will aluminum foil. I love. to use avocado or olive oil spray to grease the sheet.
Next, take your butternut squash and carefully cut and discard the ends. Peel the squash and cut in half lengthwise. With a spoon, remove the guts and seeds.
Now, cut the squash into 1-inch cubes or smaller and place them on the greased baking sheet. Spray again with avocado spray or a light drizzle of olive oil. Salt and pepper to taste. Before placing them in the oven,t oss together with clean hands and spread in a single layer on the baking sheet. Bake for 40 – 45 minutes, or until squash is fork-tender.
Meanwhile, place. a skillet on the stovetop and warm the olive oil over medium heat. Once the oil is shimmering, add the finely chopped sage and toss to coat. Let the sage get crispy for about 2 minutes and transfer to a clean paper towel to rest.
Once this is done, place the skillet back on your stovetop on medium-low. Spray with avocado oil or a light drizzle of olive oil. Add in the chopped shallots (or red onion) and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Next, add in the minced garlic and cook for another 2 minutes. Make sure the heat is not too high so you do not burn the garlic! Remove from heat and set aside while the butternut squash finishes roasting.
Now. it is time to prepare your pasta. Cook according to package, drain and place back into the large cooking pot. Set aside.
Once the butternut squash is ready, in a food processor or blender, add 1.5 to 2 cups of the roasted butternut squash and almond milk. Save the rest of the squash to eat or make double the recipe! Blend until completely smooth. Now add in sauteed shallots, garlic, red chili flakes, salt, and pepper. Taste and adjust seasonings and salt as necessary. If the sauce is too thick, add a little more almond milk if needed.
Now, pour the sauce over cooked pasta in a large pot, stir until well combined. Warm over medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes or until heated.
Serve immediately in individual bowls topped with fried sage, more black pepper, and shaved vegan cheese or classic Parmesan!
Enjoy your delicious creamy vegan butternut squash pasta! You can store in fridge for up to 5 days as well.
How to store extra creamy butternut squash pasta
Make extra? No worries, this healthy creamy vegan butternut squash pasta sauce is actually the best meal prep recipe ever! I love to save my extras in a sealed airtight container in the fridge. You can save any extras up to 5 days!
Did you make this recipe?
If you make this recipe, be sure to comment and rate it down below. Also, don’t forget to tag me @healthfulblondie on Instagram and use the hashtag #healthfulblondie so I can see your delicious creation and share it with my followers!Print
Sweet creamy vegan butternut squash pasta sauce. Super nutritious, dairy-free, gluten-free, and plant-based! Top with crispy sage for nutritious dinner or lunch.
- 8 oz dried pasta, I used Banza chickpea fusilli
- 1 lb butternut squash, 1.5 cups roasted and cubed
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk *
- 1/3 cup shallot, chopped
- 3 – 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tbsp red chili flakes, plus more for spicer sauce
- 2 tsp salt, plus more to taste
- 1 tsp pepper, plus more to taste
- 1 – 2 Tbsp olive oil or avocado oil
- 1/4 cup fresh sage, finely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and line and grease a baking sheet will aluminum foil or parchment paper. I use avocado spray to grease.
- Carefully cut and discard the ends of each butternut squash. Peel the squash, cut in half lengthwise, and remove seeds. Cut squash into 1-inch cubes and place them on the greased baking sheet. Spray again with avocado spray or a light drizzle of olive oil. Salt and pepper to taste. With clean hands, toss together and spread in a single layer on the baking sheet. Bake for 40 – 45 minutes, or until squash is fork-tender.
- Meanwhile, warm the 1 Tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Once the oil is shimmering, add the finely chopped sage and toss to coat. Let the sage get crispy for about 2 minutes and transfer to a clean paper towel to rest.
- Now, place the skillet back on your stovetop on medium-low. Spray with avocado oil. Add chopped shallots and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add minced garlic and cook for another 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Prepare pasta according to package, drain, place back into the large cooking pot. Set aside.
- Once the butternut squash is ready, in a food processor or blender, add 1.5 to 2 cups of the roasted butternut squash and almond milk. Blend until completely smooth. Now add in sauteed shallots, garlic, red chili flakes, salt, and pepper. Taste and adjust seasonings and salt as necessary. If the sauce is too thick, add a little more almond milk if needed.
- Pour sauce over cooked pasta in a large pot, stir until well combined, heat over medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes or until desired temperature.
- Serve immediately in individual bowls topped with fried sage, more black pepper, and shaved vegan cheese or classic Parmesan! Store in fridge for up to 5 days.
* any nut milk should work here!
** If roasting large butternut squash, double the recipes and save extras!
- Category: Lunch & Dinner
- Method: Oven & Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: butternut squash, healthy butternut squash sauce, healthy pasta sauce, butternut squash pasta sauce, vegan, vegan pasta sauce, vegan butternut squash pasta sauce, vegan dinner, healthy dinner, sage, squash, squash pasta sauce, healthy pasta, protein pasta,
I only recommend products I absolutely love and use myself. In full disclosure, by purchasing a product I recommend, I may receive a small compensation. Everything counts to keep my dream afloat; thank you for supporting Healthful Blondie!
Sharing is caring!