Super moist healthy lemon poppy seed crumb cake made with almond flour, fresh lemon, and naturally sweetened dash of pure maple syrup. This easy, kid-friendly, and delicious lemon crumble cake recipe tastes like Summer and has the perfect streusel on top! Ideal healthier snack, breakfast, and dessert.
Best ever healthy lemon poppy seed cake
Who else is excited for Summer?! Because I sure am. I cannot wait for the warm weather, longer days, and fun under the sun with friends and family. Plus, let’s not forget about delicious Summer eats & treats… especially lemon ones!
This healthy lemon poppy seed crumb cake is unbelievably light, super fluffy, and tastes buttery and rich without any actual butter in it! Crazy. But seriously, this crumb cake is SO MOIST, and it is gluten free and grain free… um, WHAT?! I promise you cannot even tell! The almond flour honestly makes it better than the regular flour version because it allows this cake to be extra moist.
Plus, let’s not forget about the delicious crumb topping sprinkled on top that practically melts in your mouth. It is SO DELICIOUS and absolutely perfect any time of day. So if you are on the look for a healthy snack, breakfast, or dessert, this recipe is for you! I mean, if there is one treat you try from my blog, this LEMON POPPY SEED CAKE is it!
What makes this lemon poppy seed crumb cake healthy?
I love making baked goods that taste delicious with good-for-you ingredients! And this homemade lemon poppy seed cake is as clean and nutritious as possible without taking away from the delicious lemony buttery taste and moist cake texture. You only need a few very simple ingredients, all of which are healthier alternatives to what you’ll find in store-bought brands. There are no preservatives, no refined sugars, and random ingredients in this lemon poppy seed coffee cake!
- It’s naturally sweetened with pure maple syrup. By using this type of healthier unrefined sweetener, I am removing all refined sugars!
- I used almond flour is full of Vitamin E, fiber, and a dash of protein. It also makes like cake gluten-free and grain-free!
- The nonfat Greek yogurt adds a ton of protein. The yogurt in this lemon poppy seed crumb cake recipe makes this cake super moist, fluffy, and rich in calcium & protein.
Ingredients in lemon poppy seed crumb cake
You’ll only need a few, simple ingredients to get this easy snack & breakfast recipe going! I am all about simplicity, so don’t worry; all these ingredients are easy and affordable! Here are the 12 ingredients you need to make these fluffy & moist healthy lemon poppy seed cake with a crumble topping.
lemon poppy seed cake:
- Eggs: the 2 eggs in this recipe help make this cake fluffy and light.
- Non-fat plain Greek yogurt: Greek yogurt is key to making this lemon crumb cake fluffy and moist. I used Chobani 0%, but any nonfat Greek yogurt should work!
- Coconut oil: 1/4 cup of melted coconut oil is essential to keeping this cake super moist.
- Maple syrup: measure out 1/2 cup maple syrup so that this lemon poppy seed cake is perfectly sweet.
- Lemon Juice: you need 1/4 cup of fresh lemon juice, which is about 1 large lemon juiced!
- Vanilla extract: just a dash of vanilla extract goes a long way!
- Almond flour: for the flour portion, measure out 2 cups of almond flour.
- Coconut flour: plus, 2 Tablespoons of coconut flour to get that perfect light & fluffy texture.
- Baking powder: 1 teaspoon of baking powder is needed for this coffee cake to rise.
- Baking soda: add in 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda.
- Poppy seeds: essential for this recipe, you only need to add 1 Tablespoon of poppy seeds.
- Lemon zest: add the zest of one lemon to the batter for all that lemon flavoring!
healthy streusel topping:
- Almond flour: add 1/3 cup of almond flour to a bowl to start making the sweet crumble.
- Coconut sugar: then add in 1/4 cup of coconut sugar!
- Lemon zest: zest a second lemon for this.
- Coconut oil: finally, add 2 Tablespoons of melted coconut oil. I used unrefined coconut oil so there is no coconut flavor!
Kitchen tools used
Healthy lemon poppy seed cake is made using 4 tools and items. You are going to love how easy clean up is going to be! Here’s a quick list of what you’ll need for this healthy breakfast and snack recipe:
- Large mixing bowl
- 8×8 inch baking pan
- Small bowl
- Measuring cups: 1/2 teaspoon, 1 teaspoon, 1/3 cup, 1/2 cup, and 1 cup.
How to make grain-free lemon poppy seed crumb cake
Grain-free lemon poppy seed crumb cake is incredibly easy to make! All you need to do is whisk the eggs, yogurt, and maple syrup, then fold in the flour and poppy seeds, and finally bake the moist cake! Here, I’ll walk you through each step of how to make this lemon poppy seed cake with a delicious streusel on top:
First, start by preheating your oven to 350°F and lightly grease, and line an 8” x 8” tin with parchment paper.
Then, zest your lemon and set it to the side.
Next, in a large mixing bowl, whisk eggs, yogurt, maple syrup, melted coconut oil, fresh lemon juice, and vanilla extract until smooth. Then add in the almond flour, coconut flour, poppy seeds, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Then, gently hand fold in the lemon zest and pour into the lined baking tin
In a small bowl, combine all the crumble toppings and evenly sprinkle on top of the batter.
Finally, bake for 38 – 42 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Enjoy your delicious gluten-free lemon poppy seed crumb cake!
Easy ingredient substitutions:
Here are my recommendations for ingredient substitutions for this lemon poppy seed crumb cake. So do not worry if you are missing an ingredient or want to make a swap!
- Coconut oil: Don’t have coconut oil? No worries! Substitute it with it canola oil, vegetable oil, or melted butter one for one.
- Maple syrup: You can try and use honey or agave syrup here! Swap it out 1:1.
- Coconut sugar: You can use light brown sugar here!
- Non-fat Greek Yogurt: I used 0%, but if you do not have that, try swapping it out 2% or 5% Greek yogurt.
Can I make muffins out of this lemon poppy seed cake recipe?
YES! Here is how to turn this healthy lemon poppy seed cake into muffins:
- Line a muffin tin with 12 cups.
- Prepare batter the same way as instructed.
- Evenly divide between muffin liners.
- Sprinkle the crumble topping on each muffin.
- Bake at 350°F for 18 – 23 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.
Storing & freezing leftovers
Storing: Simply store lemon poppy seed cake at temperature for up to 3 days by covering the pan in foil or plastic wrap at room temperature. It can also be store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days!
Refrigerating: Funny enough, I love keeping my poppy seed cake in the fridge. Something about a cold pastry makes me the happiest person! Simply store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Freezing: Place cake in an airtight container, or wrap in plastic wrap or tinfoil, and freeze for up to 2-3 months.
Did you make this recipe?
If you make this recipe, be sure to comment and rate it down below. Also, don’t forget to tag me @healthfulblondie on Instagram and use the hashtag #healthfulblondie so I can see your delicious creation and share it with my followers!
Looking for other healthy snack recipes? Check these out!
Need some more healthier snack recipes? Here are some of my favorite Healthful Blondie recipes to try out….
- Double Chocolate Zucchini Banana Bread
- Healthy Peanut Butter & Jelly Banana Muffins
- Healthy Cinnamon Swirl Coffee Cake
- Spiced Carrot Orange Muffins
- Paleo Cinnamon Toast Crumb Muffins
Healthy Lemon Poppy Seed Crumb Cake
- 2 egg
- ½ cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt, I used Chobani 0%
- ½ cup real maple syrup
- ¼ cup melted unrefined coconut oil
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups almond flour
- 2 Tbsp coconut flour
- 1 Tbsp poppy seeds
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- zest of 1 lemon, about 1 teaspoon packed
- ⅓ cup almond flour
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- zest of 1 lemon, about 1 teaspoon packed
- 2 ½ Tbsp melted unrefined coconut oil
- Preheat your oven to 350°F and lightly grease, and line an 8” x 8” tin with parchment paper.
- Zest your lemon and set it to the side.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk eggs, yogurt, maple syrup, melted coconut oil, fresh lemon juice, and vanilla extract until smooth.
- Add in almond flour, coconut flour, poppy seeds, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Gently hand fold in lemon zest and pour into the lined baking tin.
- In a small bowl, combine all the crumble toppings and evenly sprinkle on top of the batter.
- Bake for 38 - 42 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
I only recommend products I absolutely love and use myself. In full disclosure, by purchasing a product I recommend, I may receive a small compensation. Everything counts to keep my dream afloat; thank you for supporting Healthful Blondie!
Sharing is caring!
Leave a Reply