Super moist healthy double chocolate zucchini banana bread made with oat flour, whole wheat flour, and naturally sweetened with bananas and a dash of pure maple syrup. This easy, kid-friendly, and delicious chocolate banana bread recipe tastes like a fudgy brownie! The perfect healthier snack, breakfast, and dessert.
The best chocolate banana bread you’ll ever have
Banana bread is a must all year long! There is simply nothing quite like the smell of a fresh banana bread loaf coming out of the oven. When I was little, I knew it was going to be a good day when there were extra ripe, spotty bananas leftover because that only meant one thing in our household…. homemade BANANA BREAD!
And what better way to enjoy it than in chocolate form. This super simple double chocolate banana bread has a secret ingredient…. shredded zucchini! I promise you cannot even taste it. The zucchini is in this banana bread recipe to keep the bread EXTRA moist, rich, and a fun and easy way to sneak in some veggies! Seriously, this one bowl, super easy, and simple banana bread recipe is bound to be a crowd-pleaser and family favorite!
What makes this bread healthy?
I love making baked goods that taste delicious with good-for-you ingredients! And this homemade chocolate banana bread is as clean and nutritious as possible without taking away from the rich chocolate taste and moist banana bread. You only need a few very simple ingredients, all of which are healthier alternatives to what you’ll find in store-bought brands. There are no preservatives, no refined sugars, and random ingredients in this chocolate banana bread recipe!
- It’s naturally sweetened with just ripe bananas and dash of pure maple syrup. By using this type of healthier unrefined sweetener, I am removing all refined sugars!
- I used homemade oat flour out of rolled oats which is full of fiber and a dash of protein.
- The nonfat Greek yogurt adds a ton of protein. The yogurt in this banana bread recipe, makes this bread super moist, fluffy, and rich in calcium & protein.
Ingredients in healthy chocolate zuchinni banana bread
You’ll only need a few, simple ingredients to get this easy snack & breakfast recipe going! I am all about simplicity, so don’t worry; all these ingredients are easy and affordable! Here are the 12 ingredients you need to make these fluffy & moist double chocolate zuchinni banana bread:
- Spotty brown bananas: make sure to use ripe bananas that have lots of brown spots on them. This will give the bread a natural sweetness.
- Eggs: the 2 eggs in this banana bread recipe, the loaf super moist and fluffy.
- Non-fat plain Greek yogurt: Greek yogurt is key to making this loaf fluffy and moist. I used Chobani 0%, but any nonfat Greek yogurt should work!
- Coconut oil: a dash of coconut oil is essential to keeping this loaf super duper moist.
- Maple syrup: you’ll need about 1/3 cup maple syrup so that this healthy zucchini banana bread is perfectly sweet.
- Vanilla extract: just a dash of vanilla extract goes a long way.
- Oat flour: you’ll be needing about 2/3 cup of homemade oat flour for this banana bread.
- White whole wheat flour: we’re using 2/3 cup of white whole wheat flour for this recipe. This can also be substituted with regular whole wheat flour!
- Unsweetened cocoa powder: this gives the bread that rich chocolate flavor!
- Baking soda: 1 teaspoon of baking soda is needed for the bread to rise.
- Zucchini: shredded zucchini is essential to making this banana bread so moist and so dense! Honestly, it tastes like a brownie.
- Chocolate chips: 1/2 cup of your favorite chocolate chips adds the perfect chocolate crunch note.
Kitchen tools used
Healthy zucchini banana bread is made using 4 tools and items. You are going to love how easy clean up is going to be! Here’s a quick list of what you’ll need for this healthy breakfast and snack recipe:
- Large mixing bowl
- Bread loaf tin
- Box grater
- Measuring cups: 1/2 teaspoon, 1 teaspoon, 1/3 cup, 1/2 cup, and 1 cup.
How to make chocolate chip zuchinni banana bread
Healthy zuchinni banana bread is incredibly easy to make! All you need to do is mash the bananas, add the eggs and flour, fold in the chocolate chips, and then bake the loaf! Here, I’ll walk you through each step of how to make these rich chocolate banana bread:
First, preheat your oven to 350°F. Line and grease a bread tin with parchment paper.
Then, remove the non-stem end from the zucchini and grate using a box grater or food processor. IMPORTANT STEP: then, squeeze the water out with a cheesecloth over the sink. Alternatively, you can squeeze the moisture out with your hands and pat dry with a paper towel, and set it to the side.
Now, in a large mixing bowl, whisk the eggs together then combine with mashed bananas, non-fat Greek yogurt, melted coconut oil, maple syrup, and vanilla extract.
Fold in oat flour, white whole wheat flour, cocoa powder, and baking soda until completely combined. Hand fold in the shredded & squeeze zucchini and chocolate chips.
Finally, pour the batter into the greased bread tin and sprinkle extra chocolate chips on top.
Bake for about 50 – 55 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let the banana bread cool before slicing and enjoying!
Healthy chocolate zucchini banana bread is actually best the next day, so feel free to make ahead of time!
Banana bread tips & tricks:
Here are my top 5 tips and tricks to making the very best, moist, and rich chocolate banana bread:
- Do not over mix the batter. To ensure your chocolate banana bread is light and fluffy, gently fold your dry ingredients and wet ingredients with a spatula or wooden spoon. Overmixing your batter is a big no no.
- Use overripe spotty brown bananas. Using bananas with lots of brown spots is key for this recipe! It makes this banana zuchinni bread sweet, perfectly moist, and delicious. Trust me.
- Do not substitute baking soda with baking powder. They are not the same thing and will yield a different texture.
- Watch the clock & do not over bake your bread. Bake your beautifully moist chocolate banana bread until a toothpick comes out clean. The best thing about these bad boys (besides the taste) is how amazing the texture is!
- Enjoy it the next day. Banana bread is always best the day after you bake it. Trust me on this!
Can I make muffins out of this banana bread recipe?
YES! Here is how to turn this double chocolate zucchini banana bread into muffins:
- Line a muffin tin with 12 cups.
- Prepare batter the same way as instructed.
- Evenly divide between muffin liners.
- Bake at 350°F for 18 – 23 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.
Storing & freezing
Storing: Simply store this banana bread at room temperature for up to 3 days by covering the pan in foil or plastic wrap. It can also be store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days!
Freezing: Freeze chocolate banana bread for up to 3 months by wrapping in plastic wrap, wrapping in a second layer of foil, and finally placing it into freezer-friendly storage bag. Thaw at room temperature before enjoying!
Did you make this recipe?
If you make this recipe, be sure to comment and rate it down below. Also, don’t forget to tag me @healthfulblondie on Instagram and use the hashtag #healthfulblondie so I can see your delicious creation and share it with my followers!
Looking for other healthy snack recipes? Check these out!
Need some more healthier snack recipes? Here are some of my favorite Healthful Blondie recipes to try out….
- Healthy Peanut Butter & Jelly Banana Muffins
- Mini Double Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins
- Healthy Cinnamon Swirl Coffee Cake
- Healthy Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- Paleo Cinnamon Toast Crumb Muffins
Double Chocolate Zucchini Banana Bread
- 3 large brown bananas, about 1 + 1/4 cups
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup non-fat plain Greek yogurt, I used Chobani 0%
- ⅓ cup coconut oil, melted
- ⅓ cup maple syrup
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ⅔ cup homemade oat flour
- ⅔ cup white whole wheat flour
- ⅓ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup shredded zucchini, about 1 medium, squeezed
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line and grease a bread tin with parchment paper.
- Remove the non-stem end from the zucchini and grate using a box grater or food processor. Then, squeeze the water out with a cheesecloth over the sink. Alternatively, you can squeeze the moisture out with your hands and pat dry with a paper towel. Set to the side.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the eggs together then combine with mashed bananas, non-fat Greek yogurt, melted coconut oil, maple syrup, and vanilla extract.
- Fold in oat flour, white whole wheat flour, cocoa powder, and baking soda until completely combined. Hand fold in the shredded & squeeze zucchini and chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into the greased bread tin and sprinkle extra chocolate chips on top.
- Bake for 50 – 55 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let it cool completely before slicing and enjoying!
I only recommend products I absolutely love and use myself. In full disclosure, by purchasing a product I recommend, I may receive a small compensation. Everything counts to keep my dream afloat; thank you for supporting Healthful Blondie!
Sharing is caring!