Super moist healthy double chocolate zucchini banana bread made with oat flour, whole wheat flour, and naturally sweetened with maple syrup. It’s easy to make, kid-friendly, and tastes like a fudgy brownie! The perfect healthier snack, breakfast, and dessert.
The best double chocolate zucchini banana bread
Banana bread is a must all year long! There is nothing quite like the smell of a fresh banana bread loaf coming out of the oven. When I was little, I knew it was going to be a good day when there were extra ripe, spotty bananas leftover because that only meant one thing in our household…. homemade BANANA BREAD!
This double chocolate zucchini banana bread is super moist, rich, and tastes like a warm fudgy brownie. It is secretly healthy, and I promise you cannot taste the zucchini!
This recipe is straightforward to make and is made with simple ingredients. The banana bread itself is sweetened with maple syrup and is super rich from the chocolate.
This chocolate chip zucchini banana bread is perfect as a snack, breakfast, or dessert. The options are endless, and everyone will love this bread – even kids!
Why you’ll love this recipe:
- Quick and easy to make in under an hour.
- Double chocolate zucchini banana bread is rich, moist, and fluffy.
- This recipe is healthy and has hidden zucchini baked in.
- Easy snack, breakfast, or dessert.
- This recipe is naturally sweetened with maple syrup; it is refined sugar-free!
- Try this classic banana bread next!
What makes this bread healthy?
I love making baked goods that taste delicious with good-for-you ingredients – there are no preservatives, refined sugars, and random ingredients! This homemade chocolate banana bread is as clean and nutritious as possible without taking away from the rich chocolate taste.
- It’s naturally sweetened with just ripe bananas and a dash of pure maple syrup. By using this type of healthier unrefined sweetener, we remove all refined sugars.
- It’s made with homemade oat flour out of rolled oats which is full of fiber and a dash of protein.
- The nonfat Greek yogurt adds a ton of protein. The yogurt in this banana bread recipe, makes this bread super moist, fluffy, and rich in calcium and protein.
- Low in fat. We use Greek yogurt and melted coconut oil to make sure this healthy chocolate banana bread is extra moist.
Ingredients & substitutions
You’ll only need a few simple ingredients to get this easy snack and breakfast recipe going! I am all about simplicity, so don’t worry; all these ingredients are easy and affordable! Here is a list of the 12 ingredients you need to make these fluffy & moist double chocolate zucchini banana bread:
- Bananas: Make sure to use extra ripe, brown bananas that have lots of spots on them. This will give the bread a natural sweetness.
- Eggs: This helps hold the bread together and adds protein.
- 0% Greek Yogurt: Greek yogurt is key to making this loaf fluffy and moist. I used Chobani 0%, but any Greek yogurt will work!
- Coconut Oil: A dash of coconut oil is essential to keeping this loaf super moist. You can also use melted butter or olive oil.
- Maple Syrup: This healthy zucchini banana bread is sweetened with refined sugar-free maple syrup!
- Vanilla Extract: just a dash of vanilla extract goes a long way.
- Oat Flour: Homemade oat flour makes this banana bread fluffy and soft.
- White Whole Wheat Flour: The other flour we use is white whole wheat flour. This can also be substituted with regular whole wheat flour!
- Unsweetened Cocoa Powder: This gives the bread that rich chocolate flavor!
- Baking Soda: To help the banana bread rise.
- Zucchini: Shredded zucchini is essential to making this banana bread so moist and dense. Honestly, it tastes like a brownie.
- Chocolate chips: 1/2 cup of your favorite chocolate chips add the perfect chocolate crunch note.
Kitchen tools required
Healthy zucchini banana bread is made using four tools and items. You are going to love how easy clean-up is going to be! Here’s a quick list of what you’ll need for this healthy breakfast and snack recipe:
- Large mixing bowl
- Bread loaf tin
- Box grater
- Measuring cups: 1/2 teaspoon, 1 teaspoon, 1/3 cup, 1/2 cup, and 1 cup.
How to make healthy double chocolate zucchini banana bread
This healthy double chocolate chip zucchini banana bread is incredibly easy to make! All you need to do is mash the bananas, add the eggs and flour, fold in the chocolate chips, and then bake the loaf! Here are step-by-step instructions with pictures for visual reference:
First, preheat your oven to 350°F. Line and grease a bread tin with parchment paper.
Then, remove the non-stem end from the zucchini and grate using a box grater or food processor. IMPORTANT STEP: then, squeeze the water out with a cheesecloth over the sink. Alternatively, you can squeeze the moisture out with your hands, pat dry with a paper towel, and set it to the side.
Now, in a large mixing bowl, whisk the eggs together, then combine them with mashed bananas, non-fat Greek yogurt, melted coconut oil, maple syrup, and vanilla extract.
Fold in oat flour, white whole wheat flour, cocoa powder, and baking soda until thoroughly combined. Hand fold in the shredded & squeeze zucchini and chocolate chips.
Finally, pour the batter into the greased bread tin and sprinkle extra chocolate chips on top.
Finally, bake and then let the banana bread cool before slicing and enjoying!
Healthy chocolate zucchini banana bread is best the next day, so feel free to make it ahead of time!
Healthy banana bread tips & tricks:
Here are my top 5 tips and tricks to making the very best, moist, and rich chocolate banana bread:
Don’t over-mix the batter. To ensure your chocolate banana bread is light and fluffy, gently fold your dry ingredients and wet ingredients with a spatula or wooden spoon. Overmixing your batter is a big no-no.
Use overripe spotty brown bananas. Using bananas with lots of brown spots is vital for this recipe! It makes this banana zucchini bread sweet without adding cane sugar.
Do not substitute baking soda with baking powder. They are not the same thing and will yield a different texture.
Watch the clock & don’t overbake. Bake your super moist chocolate banana bread until a toothpick comes out clean.
Enjoy it the next day. Banana bread is always best the day after you bake it. Trust me on this!
How to make this recipe into muffins:
Here are instructions on how to turn this double chocolate zucchini banana bread into muffins:
- Line a muffin tin with 12 cups.
- Prepare batter the same way as instructed.
- Evenly divide between muffin liners.
- Bake at 350°F for 22 – 28 minutes, or until the toothpick comes out clean.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I add nuts?
Yes, feel free to add 1/2 cup of chopped walnuts, pecans, cashews, or almonds to the batter.
Can I make this chocolate banana bread gluten free?
Yes, you can substitute the white whole wheat flour with gluten-free 1:1 baking flour.
Why did my zucchini banana bread sink in the middle?
I bake this recipe a lot. If your bread sinks in the middle, it is likely because you forgot to remove the extra liquid from the zucchini shreds. If you add the zucchini directly to the batter after shredding, there will be too much liquid, and the banana bread won’t rise.
Why is my banana bread dry?
Banana bread can be dry for a few reasons. The main two are (1) you overbaked the banana bread, or (2) you added too much flour. Make sure to keep an eye on the clock and the banana bread in the oven; every oven is different. Likewise, spoon and level your flour into the measuring cups, and do not scoop from the bag. Also, don’t make any flour substitutions for the almond flour.
Can I make them into muffins?
Yes, you can make this banana bread recipe into muffins. Just scroll up for the instrucitons.
Can I freeze baked banana bread?
You can freeze chocolate banana bread by allowing it to cool to room temperature, then place individual slices in freezer-safe bags and freeze them for up to 3 months. When ready to enjoy, let it thaw overnight in the fridge or microwave them for 30 – 60 seconds until warm.
How to store leftovers:
Storing: Simply store this banana bread at room temperature for up to 3 days by covering the pan in foil or plastic wrap. It can also be stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 days!
Fun fact: banana bread is also taster and moister 1 day after you bake it!
Did you make this recipe?
If you make this recipe, be sure to comment and rate it down below. Also, don’t forget to tag me @healthfulblondie on Instagram and use the hashtag #healthfulblondie so I can see your delicious creation and share it with my followers!
If you loved this recipe, try these next!
- Healthy Blueberry Banana Bread
- Dairy Free Banana Bread
- Banana Pumpkin Muffins
- Oatmeal Blueberry Banana Muffins
- Healthy Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
Double Chocolate Zucchini Banana Bread
- 3 brown, spotty bananas, about 1 + 1/4 cups
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup non-fat plain Greek yogurt, I used Chobani 0%
- ⅓ cup coconut oil, melted
- ⅓ cup maple syrup
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ⅔ cup homemade oat flour
- ⅔ cup white whole wheat flour
- ⅓ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup shredded zucchini, about 1 medium, squeezed
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line and grease a bread tin with parchment paper.
- Remove the non-stem end from the zucchini and grate using a box grater or food processor. Then, squeeze the water out with a cheesecloth over the sink. Alternatively, you can squeeze the moisture out with your hands and pat dry with a paper towel. Set to the side.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the eggs together then combine with mashed bananas, non-fat Greek yogurt, melted coconut oil, maple syrup, and vanilla extract.
- Fold in oat flour, white whole wheat flour, cocoa powder, and baking soda until completely combined. Hand fold in the shredded & squeeze zucchini and chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into the greased bread tin and sprinkle extra chocolate chips on top.
- Bake for 50 – 55 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let it cool completely before slicing and enjoying!
I only recommend products I absolutely love and use myself. In full disclosure, by purchasing a product I recommend, I may receive a small compensation. Thank you for supporting Healthful Blondie!
Sharing is caring!
Leave a Reply