Peanut Butter Banana Overnight Oats
5 ingredient creamy Peanut Butter Banana Overnight Oats that make for the perfect healthy no-cook and on-the-go breakfast for busy people. This tasty overnight oatmeal recipe takes 5 minutes to prepare and is made with simple ingredients like almond milk, rolled oats, chia seeds, and mashed banana. Start your day with vegan, sugar-free, & dairy-free oats that taste like banana bread!
Why this is the best overnights oats recipe
One of my favorite flavor combinations of all time is peanut butter and banana. This oats recipe is perfect for peanut butter and banana lovers like me since it honestly tastes like banana bread.
This breakfast recipe the perfect balance for everyone: athletes, kids, and families. They provide a healthy source of grains, protein, healthy fats, plus they are gluten-free, vegan, and refined sugar-free.
So, if you are short on time in the mornings, this recipe is for you! It is so easy to make and all of the prep can be done the night (or week) before. Just grab the 5 simple ingredients and get ready to try the best overnight oatmeal recipe ever. This breakfast tastes great and will make you feel satiated and nourished for your day ahead.
What are overnight oats?
Overnight oats are very similar to a classic oatmeal recipe, but instead of softening the rolled oats with heat on the stovetop, you soak them. When oats are soaked in almond milk, the oats absorb the liquid and nutrients. Plus, the fiber and starch content breaks down and becomes easier to digest and the oats are essentially “cooked.” Overnight oatmeal is the perfect meal prep recipe because it requires minimal steps in the morning and they are ready to go as you run out the door!
Are overnight oats healthy?
Yes! If you are looking for a healthy start to your day, this overnight oats recipe is perfect for you. While the term “healthy” should be applied to each person individually and is all relative, I consider this oatmeal recipe very healthy. First, this recipe uses minimal ingredients, is gluten-free, vegan, and has no artificial sweeteners or added sugars. In fact, they are sweetened naturally by the banana.
Second, oats are one of the healthiest grains you can eat. They are rich in fiber and antioxidants that will keep you satiated throughout your morning. Oats are also linked to reduced blood pressure and cholesterol. In addition to the many health benefits of oatmeal, this recipe also uses chia seeds, banana, and peanut butter. Chia seeds are high in Omega-3s along with peanut butter being another great source of healthy fat. Bananas are high in fiber and potassium, making this recipe the perfect option for you.
You will be full and satisfied for hours with these healthy overnight oats!
Ingredients in peanut butter banana overnight oats
This delicious oatmeal recipe only requires a few healthy ingredients. Here is what you will need to make the best ever overnight oats:
- Almond milk: We use unsweetened almond milk to soak our overnight oats and make them soft and creamy. Add in 1/2 cup of either plain or vanilla flavored almond milk.
- Banana: For that classic banana bread flavoring, we use 1/2 of a spotty or browning banana. I recommend using a spotty banana because they are not only easier to mash, but they are naturally sweeter. Since there is no sugar in this recipe, this is the perfect healthy food hack!
- Rolled Oats: For one serving, add in 1/2 cup of old fashion rolled oats. If you want to keep the recipe gluten-free make sure to use certified gluten-free oats.
- Chia Seeds: For extra health benefits and omega 3’s add 1 Tablespoon of chia seeds. This gives this recipe extra fiber and nutrients.
- Peanut Butter: I love peanut butter. Use 1 to 2 Tablespoons of natural peanut butter for flavor and extra creaminess. Either crunchy or creamy peanut butter works!
Kitchen tools used
I love simple and easy recipes, especially those that don’t require tons of kitchen tools and allow for an easy clean-up. In fact, this healthy meal prep breakfast recipe only calls for 3 tools! Here is a list of the few basic kitchen tools needed to make these amazing creamy overnight oats that you and your kids will love:
How to make peanut butter overnight oats
One of the best parts of peanut butter and banana oats is how easy they are to make! Whether you have a busy morning or just want to make a quick snack during the day, this recipe is so simple and easy to throw together. Here is how to make the best ever peanut butter overnight oatmeal in a few steps:
First, grab a sealable mason jar or small container and whisk together the almond milk and mashed banana. Then, in the same jar, add the rolled oats, chia seeds, and peanut butter. Use a spoon to mix the oats until they are all combined and remember to make sure to submerge the oats in the almond milk.
Once mixed, place the lid on the jar and leave it in the refrigerator for at least 6 hours or up to 6 days.
Whenever you are ready to enjoy your oats, simply remove the jar from the fridge and add toppings of your choice. I recommend sliced bananas, strawberries, blueberries, or any other fruit. I also love to add some extra peanut butter or honey for some extra flavor! Enjoy these healthy overnight oats chilled.
Overnight oats variations and substitutions
There are so many options for you to customize these healthy overnight oats so it can be exactly how you like it! Here are some ideas for this oatmeal recipe:
- Almond Butter: Instead of peanut butter, use almond butter if that is your thing!
- Sun Butter: If you are nut-free, try using sun butter.
- Blueberries: I love blueberries. Add a handful of fresh or frozen blueberries to make these overnight oats peanut butter and jelly style.
- Strawberries: Nothing goes better with peanut butter and banana than strawberries. Add in fresh or frozen strawberries or even remove the banana and replace it with mashed strawberries!
- Apples: Ever try apple pie overnight oats? Well, they are delicious and super easy to make. Either add cut-up apples into the overnight oat mixture or remove the banana and have this recipe be peanut butter apple overnight oats!
- Chocolate Chips: Chocolate makes everything better, to be honest. Sprinkle some chocolate chips on top of your overnight oatmeal for extra deliciousness.
- Add Nuts: For some extra crunch, add in walnuts, pecans, peanuts, or cashews. Any and all will taste amazing!
Overnight Oats Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use steel cut oats?
No. Do not use steel cut oats in this overnight oats recipe. It will not yield the same creamy and delicious soaked oats.
Can I use quick oats?
Yes, if you do not have rolled oats, you can use quick oats. However, your overnight oats will be a tad softer than usual since the oat grains are broken down more.
How long can you store overnight oats in the refrigerator?
You can store overnight oats in the refrigerator for up to 5 days! That is what makes this the perfect meal prep breakfast.
Can I freeze overnight oats?
Yes, you can freeze overnight oats for up to 3 months in individual freezer-safe containers. Thaw by placing in the fridge overnight and enjoying them the next morning.
Can I eat overnight oats warm?
Yes, just place your overnight oats into a microwave safe bowl and heat for 30 – 60 seconds. I personally like to enjoy my oats chilled, but that decision is up to you!
How to meal prep overnight oats
This healthy overnight oats recipe is the perfect make-ahead breakfast. You can easily store overnight oatmeal for up to 1 week. All you have to do is double, triple, or quadruple this easy recipe for however many portions you seek to make and place them into individual containers. Enjoy waking up to a delicious breakfast with no prep time required!
If you loved this healthy oatmeal Breakfast recipe, check these out!
Need some more healthier, easy, and simple breakfast recipes? Here are some of my favorite Healthful Blondie meals to try out….
- Protein Oatmeal Blender Pancakes
- Healthy Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Bars
- Double Chocolate Baked Oats
- Protein Chocolate Chip Baked Oats (Single Serve)
- High Protein Cinnamon Banana Chia Oatmeal
Did you make this recipe?
If you make this recipe, be sure to comment and rate it down below. Also, don’t forget to tag me @healthfulblondie on Instagram and use the hashtag #healthfulblondie so I can see your delicious creation and share it with my followers!Print
5 ingredient creamy peanut butter and banana overnight oats that make for the perfect healthy no-cook and on-the-go breakfast for busy people. This tasty oatmeal recipe takes 5 minutes to prepare and is made with simple ingredients. Start your day with vegan, sugar-free, & dairy-free oats that taste like banana bread!
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk, plain or vanilla
- 1/2 spotty banana, mashed
- 1/2 cup rolled oats, gluten-free or regular
- 1 Tbsp chia seeds
- 1 – 2 Tbsp natural salted peanut butter, crunchy or creamy
- In a sealable mason jar or small container add whisk together almond milk and mashed banana.
- Add in rolled oats, chia seeds, and peanut butter. Stir with a spoon until it is all combined. Make sure all oats are submerged in the almond milk.
- Place the lid on top of the jar or container to seal.
- Set in the refrigerator to soak overnight or for at least 6 hours and up to 5 days.
- When you’re ready to serve, add sliced banana, strawberries, blueberries, or any fruit on top. Drizzle maple syrup, honey, or extra peanut butter.
- Enjoy chilled!
If meal prepping, I suggest using individual mason jars or containers.
Swap peanut butter out for almond butter, sun butter, granola butter, or cashew butter.
Optional toppings: nuts, chocolate chips, fresh fruit, apples, frozen fruit.
- Category: Breakfast & Snacks
- Method: Refrigerator
- Cuisine: American, Healthy
Keywords: overnight oatmeal, overnight oats, peanut butter overnight oats, peanut butter banana overnight oats, healthy breakfast
Recipe by Tati Chermayeff / Healthful Blondie + Photos by The Travel Palate
I only recommend products I absolutely love and use myself. In full disclosure, by purchasing a product I recommend, I may receive a small compensation. Everything counts to keep my dream afloat; thank you for supporting Healthful Blondie!
Sharing is caring!